Ladylike Plaid

Ladylike Plaid, Colette Patterns Sencha

Ladylike Plaid, Colette Patterns Sencha

This baby is a creasing-and-folding-and-holding-up-to-my-body-to-see-if-it-fits miracle! Let me see if I can sum up how I accomplished this fit.

Firstly, I didn’t want to cut the pattern on the (very slim) chance that I’d want to make one for someone else. So I slashed through the shoulder area to the size 6 line. Then I folded the remainder over and pressed and pinned it. I folded the sleeve over to size 6 and pressed and pinned.

Now, the waist area the size 6 would definitely work, but the size 6 hips?? Not a chance in hell. So I began to taper out to size 12 starting at the waistline marking on the pattern for the front and to size 8 in the back. There is still too much room in the middle back , so for my next one (Oh, there WILL be a next one) I will go down to a 2 or 4 in the upper back on the back piece.

Ladylike Plaid, Colette Patterns Sencha
Ladylike Plaid, Colette Patterns Sencha

Because of the difference in the chest and hip areas, the back facings are slimmer towards the bottom. Which is fine since it’s not apparent from the outside. I finished some of the seams with my serger, including the neck facings (I serge the interfacing to the fashion fabric). For the sleeves, I folded the raw edge and stitched a baby hem. I thought that would be easier to handstitch and it was. I cut the size 18 length, and thank goodness I did. Anything less would have been too short.

The neckline as is would never have fit my neck, which is puny by most standards. I would have modified it anyway, as I don’t think really high necks are very flattering on me. I need a hint of collar bone, it’s my cleavage, lol. Because I didn’t want to cut the pattern, I cut the fabric with the neck and facing as is and made the scoop lower, and the facings to match, after construction. This worked out well for the most part, though I had to cut one set of facings again as they were too short, I had forgotten to lengthen both sets.

I braved making buttonholes again and they worked! Sewing the buttons in place was fairly painless, I only had to reposition one out of seven.

Overall, a SUCCESS!

It needs a belt, but all of mine are worn out and a mess. I’m working on a “no sew” idea for one. Coming soon!

About these ads

7 thoughts on “Ladylike Plaid

  1. This is a very cute little top, no wonder you are so pleased with it. I love it! The buttons down the back are a lovely point of interest. I like your description of “braving” the buttonholes, hehe…

  2. What a nice looking top. Love the button surprise on the back and making it in plaid keeps it perfect for summer! I also love the fabric in your last disco diva top. Very cute.

  3. Pingback: The “Hold the Buttons” Sencha | Sown Brooklyn

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s